* “As the principal economic enablers of North Korea’s nuclear weapon and ballistic missile development program, China and Russia bear unique and special responsibility for this growing threat to regional and global stability.”–Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
* “We felt the readiness of our U.S. colleagues to continue dialogue. I think there’s no alternative to that.”–Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, after meeting with Secretary of State Tillerson.
* “‘America first’ does not mean America alone.”–Vice President Mike Pence, at the Adriatic Charter Summit in Montenegro.
* “This is just a tiny example of what’s coming for everyone that dares to oppose this totalitarian form of government. If they’re doing this to the chief prosecutor, imagine the helpless state all Venezuelans live in.”–Luisa Ortega, the chief prosecutor who was ousted by Venezuela’s newly installed constitutional assembly.
* “…We firmly believe that the Paris Agreement cannot be renegotiated.”–Joint statement from the leaders of Germany, France and Italy.
* “Our interests in the end rest on our values. I am concerned because the country seems to be veering away from values that are so foundational for us.”–Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, in assessing what he has been seeing at the State Department.
* “Rexit.”–The term already coined for a possible Rex Tillerson resignation as secretary of state.
* “Look, I spoke to Putin, Merkel, Abe of Japan, to France today, and this was my most unpleasant call.”–Outtake from Donald Trump’s January telephone call with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
* “The special counsel is subject to the rules and regulations of the Department of Justice, and we don’t engage in fishing expeditions.”–Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
* “We have an empty majority, a party that can rule but cannot govern.”–Ross Douthat, New York Times.
* “If (supporting Trump) was our Faustian bargain, then it was not worth it.”–U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.
* “Anyone in a position of responsibility in GOP politics is quickly losing patience with President Trump. The dysfunction is beyond strange–it’s dangerous.”–Republican strategist Alex Conant.
* “The stunning Senate rejection of repeal was also a pointed rejection of Trump’s health care hectoring. And a show of senatorial disdain for Trump craving a personal legislative ‘win’ on an issue about whose policy choices he knew nothing and cared less.”–Charles Krauthammer, Washington Post.
* “Only the fake news media and Trump enemies want me to stop using social media.”–Donald Trump.
* “I think he’s the most deplorable person I’ve ever met in my life.”–U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.
* “This is the high-water mark of post-World War II, right-wing crazy, but this is not unique in American history. … (Donald Trump) is Huey Long with bad hair, he’s George Wallace with a jet.”–Republican strategist Mac Stipanovich.
* “In 26 years as a public servant, I’ve had a lot of tough issues. But the meanness, the anger, the hatred, the fighting, the discontent, on both sides, is unprecedented.”–Hillsborough County Commissioner Victor Crist, on the contentious issue of Tampa’s Confederate monument.
* “Light rail should be one of our options. I don’t think it’s the solution to all of our problems, but I think it’s part of the solution.”–St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman.
* “Growing pains are difficult. St. Petersburg will become a big, cool city.”–Eastman Equity developer and relocated New Yorker Jonathan Daou.