* “If you violate international agreements, if you fail to live up to commitments, if you become a threat to others, at some point a response is likely to be undertaken.”–Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
* “One could say that the level of trust on a working level, especially on the military level, has not improved but has rather deteriorated.”–Russian President Vladimir Putin.
* “Russia will continue to support Assad because he is the only guarantor of Russia’s military presence in Syria and hence of Russia’s military presence in the Middle East over all.”–Aleksei V. Makarkin, deputy head of the Center for Political Technologies, a Moscow-based think tank.
* “(Trump’s) foreign policy has gone from mere homeland protection to defending certain interest, values and strategic assets abroad. … With a president who counts unpredictability as a virtue, he could well reverse course again.”–Charles Krauthammer, Washington Post.
* “I explained to the president of China that a trade deal with the U.S. will be far better for them if they solve the North Korean problem … North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them!”–President Donald Trump.
* “It’s unlikely that we will build a wall or physical barrier from sea to shining sea.”–Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly.
* “… A very left-wing, anti-American president.”–Sen. John McCain’s assertion of what will result in Mexico as a result of the Trump Administration’s bellicosity toward it.
* “The definition of criminal has not changed, but where on the spectrum of criminality we operate has changed.”–Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly.
* “There is such a profound lack of trust between the two parties. It clearly affects the country.”–Sen. Susan Collins, Republican of Maine.
* “Trump is working to be the blue-collar president–you’re already seeing that in is outreach to unions.”–F. Vincent Vernucci, director of labor policy at the Mackinac Center, a Michigan-based, free-market think tank.
* “Economic nationalism is predicated on a state-of-the-art infrastructure.”–Trump adviser Steve Bannon.
* “(Trump’s) mastered instantaneous Twitter. It’s like owning newspapers.”–House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.
* “I like Donald. I guess I shouldn’t call him that. I like President Trump. He’s affable. He’s funny. He’s good company.”–Jeff Zucker, president of CNN Worldwide.
* “I am passionate about the unfinished business of the 21st century. The rights and opportunities for women and girls.”–Hillary Clinton.
* “Never say never. You don’t know what’s going to happen. I mean, hell, Donald Trump’s going to be 74 (in 2020). I’ll be 77 and in better shape. I mean, what the hell?”–Former Vice President Joe Biden.
* “Investors want something that is going to go up in orders of magnitude in six months to six years, and Tesla is that story.”–Karl Brauer, senior editor at Kelley Blue Book, on why Tesla surpassed Ford Motor in market value for the first time.
* “People suspect that special interests dominate policy decisions, and it’s on clear display when (amendments) pass overwhelmingly but are hijacked for other purposes.”–Susan Glickman, Florida director of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy.
* “What I will tell you is that (St. Petersburg) police officers will arrest anyone who violates the law. What they won’t do, they won’t ask, ‘Are you an illegal immigrant?’ and ‘Can I see your papers?’ They don’t do that, and they’re not going to start doing that.”–St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman.
* “We think that there is a certain group of people that don’t want a roommate, and this is a great opportunity for somebody to live by themselves, save on the expense of a car and live downtown.”–Omar Garcia, manager of Urban Core Holdings, which is under contract to buy a downtown Tampa office building and convert the top eight floors into micro-apartments.
* “In 1890, Tampa started what became Florida’s largest port. In 1971, we opened one of America’s greatest airports. Both the port and airport are undergoing major investments in new capacity. We must have the same commitment to moving people and goods around the region once they get here.”–Tampa attorney Ron Weaver.
* “We tested the water. It is safe to drink, and we are treating the reservoir.”–Tampa city spokeswoman Ashley Bauman, in addressing the algae bloom in the Hillsborough River that had put a bad smell and taste in tap water.
* “We’ve got to get to a place where the Riverwalk is just its own place to go. We’ve got great attractions in Tampa, and this is one of them. It’s not just a park, it’s an attraction. But it’s free, and the public owns it.”–Jason Carroll, executive director for Friends of the Riverwalk.
* “Criminals are coming to SoHo because people leave their cars unlocked.”–TPD Lt. David Fernandez.