* “He’s a businessman.” “He tells it like it is.” “He listens to us.” “He doesn’t want THEM coming in here either.” “He’ll drain the swamp.” “He’ll kick some ass.” “We need a cult leader.” Whatever. Iran is the latest reminder that the president of the United States, even if it’s Donald Trump, plays a pivotal role in what happens in our world. From climate change to nuclear threats to global alliances. Those aren’t priorities of a faux populist charlatan.
* The Trump Administration to Iran: “Live up to the nuclear deal that we pulled out of.”
* Is Mike Pompeo secretary of state or secretary of defense?
* Talk about a bottom line. “Let me make something 100% clear to the American public and anyone running for public office. It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election. This is not a novel concept. I would not have thought I needed to say this.” No, that wasn’t Nancy Pelosi. It was Ellen Weintraub, chairwoman of the Federal Election Commission, not exactly known for political partisanship.
* “If you want to know how much these polls matter, just ask President Hillary Clinton.” That’s a recent Jimmy Fallon line, more haunting than humorous.
* Sarah Huckleberry Sandbag, the Trump spokesperson who makes us miss Sean Spicer, is leaving this month. Her replacement? Likely an insider moving up, but hard to dismiss Sean Hannity, Kanye West, Kid Rock, Matt Gaetz, Steve Doocy, Laura Ingraham or Pam Bondi.
What will be SHS’s legacy? Let’s count the ways. She whored out for the worst, most despicably dangerous president in U.S. history. She killed off the daily press briefing. She suspended the WH pass of CNN’s Jim Acosta. She didn’t just spin like all press secretaries do, she also lied–including claims that the WH had heard from “countless” FBI agents who complained about James Comey. And she was a gratuitous gift to “SNL.”
BTW, whoever replaces SHS will have already proven unsuitable because they’ve already given de facto proof of their values and motivation: fealty to Trump and a high-profile bridge to Fox.
* Kellyanne Conway: the Hatch Actress.
* We know why Trump won’t dump Kellyanne Conway: She’s an outspoken, arrogant, loyal apologist. But why won’t George Conway dump her? Is it some sort of perverse celebrity coupling that only Mary Matelin and James Carville would understand?
* “Donald Trump should launch his anti-worker, anti-woman, anti-farmer, and anti-minority campaign elsewhere.” You go, Nikki Fried.
* However this Democratic casting call shakes out, one reality seems certain: The 2020 Democratic ticket will not consist of two straight white guys.