* It’s beyond ironic that Donald Trump’s first official campaign rally of 2024 was in Waco, Texas. Yes, that Waco. Supposedly the site was chosen for logistical reasons. Another possibility: “Branch Davidians for Trump.”
* NY indictments upshot: The New York arraignment procedure was visceral humiliation for an authoritarian punk. Call it Faustian justice. Just ask Michael Cohen–or Melania.
* “Because he lacks all self-control.” Rationale for former AG Bill Barr suggesting Trump should not testify in the criminal case against him.
* Stormy troopers: Trumpsters who contend his New York indictment for feloniously falsifying business records is just another witch hunt.
* Let’s not confuse “not-guilty” with “innocent.” They are not synonyms. Trump could be legally found “not guilty,” for example, on those 34 felony counts of falsifying business records—but he sure as hell isn’t “innocent.” Hasn’t been since his days with Fred.
* “I’m convinced that people want leaders that appeal to the best of America and not simply appeal to our worst instincts.” That was former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, who is seeking
the 2024 Republican presidential nomination—and has called on Trump to drop out.
* “We don’t need gun control. We need crime control.”–Mike Pence. But how about disingenuous rhetoric control?
* “Donald Trump, Ron DeSantis or Tim Scott will be the Republican nominee for president.”–Republican political consultant Alfredo Rodriguez. South Carolina Sen. Scott—from “cotton to Congress”–is the only black Republican in the Senate.