“A Republic, if you can keep it.”
* Bountygate: A disturbing report by U.S. Intelligence–that Russia offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill American and allied troops in Afghanistan–has surfaced prominently into the news cycle. Since 2019, 29 Americans have been killed in Afghanistan. After seeming indifference and then a knee-jerk “fake news” labeling, the prevaricator-in chief then said that “Nobody briefed or told me.” Whatever.
The takeaways are givens. Trump is a proven pathological liar. He doesn’t read briefing books. The level of professional disrespect can understandably–but unconscionably–result in bypassing the president of the United States on a really important matter. The sleazy leverage of Vladimir Putin remains in play.
* “Millions of mail-in ballots will be printed by foreign countries (to affect the November election).” That’s especially troubling rhetoric from the trouble-maker-in-chief that rationalizes a humiliating November loss–but worse, it poses the possibility of a problematic departure from the White House.
* The Rolling Stones have threatened legal action against President Donald Trump for using their songs at his rallies despite a cease-and-desist directive. A compromise is rumored in the works that would limit Trump-rally use of Stones’ songs to “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction.”
* “Kung Flu.” How President Hu Phlung Poo refers to COVID-19.
* Trump recently (June 14) turned 74. “He doesn’t look a day over embalmed.”–Bill Maher.