* “Dumb as a rock” and “lazy as hell.”–That was Trump’s recent reference to Rex Tillerson, his former secretary of state. Imagine a president even appointing somebody “dumb” and “lazy” to such a critically important position in the first place–especially someone he hadn’t even personally met before hiring him. Sounds like a “moron,” to quote Tillerson.
* “Remember … I am a Tariff Man.” No, we haven’t forgotten. Reed Smoot and Willis Hawley never looked so prudent.
* So, Trump, according to a theory getting increasing attention, may be exhibit A for the “Dunning-Kruger Effect.” (Yeah, I had to look it up.) But it’s hardly a coincidence that this term is surfacing right now in the context of the Trump Administration. “D-KE” refers to a self-perception bias. In short, inept people are often confident in their own abilities, because they’re too, well, inept to know how badly they’re doing.
* Trump will have his third chief of staff in less than 24 months. You have to wonder about who would actually take this job (Sean Hannity, Corey Lewandowski, Eric Trump, Kid Rock?), working for an arrogant, pathologically lying narcissist who treats the Oval Office like it’s the 26th floor of the Trump Tower. But, no, H.R. Haldeman is no longer available.
* “There’s not a smoking gun, there’s a smoking saw.”–That was Sen. Lindsey Graham after hearing the CIA briefing on what happened to Jamal Khashoggi and how autocratic Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had to have been responsible. Graham has a reputation for sound-bite wit, but this was in poor taste–even for Graham.
* Michael Avenatti has announced that he will not be running for president. Thank you.
* “It’s not a job for a glorified spokesperson.”–That was Susan E. Rice, former U.S. ambassador to the UN, on the appointment of State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert as UN ambassador. She’s right. Moreover, it’s not a job you prep for by being a host for “Fox & Friends.” But it helps when Ivanka and Jared are big fans. I miss Madeleine Albright. Hell, I miss Jeane Kirkpatrick.