* When Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke to a joint session of Congress to make the case for continued help against Russian invaders it didn’t include State of the Union optics. Standing applause (except for Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert) was not a partisan political optic. And the two figures framed behind Zelenskyy? Two women, VP Kamala Harris and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, were making history while Zelenskyy was making his case.
* “There is such a wide range between your actual age and how you perform and function and show up in the world.”–That was U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, and, yes, the context was an octogenarian president.
* President Biden is a devoted viewer of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” and CNN’s “Don Lemon Tonight.”
* “Arizonans don’t like taxes, and we don’t really like government. We love our country. And we love our military. And that’s about where it ends.”–Former Democrat and now Independent Sen. Krysten Sinema of Arizona.
* While Dems continue to ponder their leadership bench, one Congressional name seems assured of continued attention and ascendance. New York Rep. Hakeem Jeffries is often referenced as the “Speaker-in-waiting.”
* Voting actually has a lot in common with driving. If you want to go backward, choose “R.” If you want to go forward, choose “D.”