* “Public opinion sets bounds to every government, and is the real sovereign in every free one.”–James Madison.
* “Ukraine will never surrender.”–Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
* “The global order is nearing a tipping point, and if democracy’s defenders do not work together to help guarantee freedom for all people, the authoritarian model will prevail.”–Freedom House.
* “Authoritarianism comes naturally to humans, while liberalism has to be taught—and fought for.”–Jonah Goldberg, The Dispatch.
* “The GOP was given a choice between dishonor and defeat. They chose dishonor. They will have defeat.”–Utah Republican Sen. Mitt Romney
* “If Steve Bannon and I had organized (the Jan. 6 insurrection), we would have won. Not to mention we would’ve been armed.”–Georgia GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, in her address to the New York Young Republicans Club.
* “It feels like being in the same room with your rapist.”–California Democratic Rep. Anna Eshoo, in describing what it’s like to work with Republicans who are still denying election results.
* “Wells Fargo’s rinse-repeat cycle of violating the law has harmed millions of American families.”–Rohit Chopra, director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. (The CFPB ordered Wells to repay $2 billion to consumers and enacted a $1.7 billion penalty against the bank.)
* “The growing field of ‘ethical investment’ demonstrates that over the long term, one can ‘do well by doing good.’”–William Felice, professor-emeritus of political science at Eckerd College.
* “The biggest, meatiest, beefiest property insurance reform legislation that the state has ever seen. … (But) that’s not going to provide immediate relief to home owners.”–Florida Rep. Tom Leek, R-Ormond Beach.
* “We clearly want (the Rays) in Tampa, and St. Pete clearly wants them in St. Pete.”–Mayor Jane Castor.
* “It’s time for transparency and accountability at City Hall.”—Tampa City Councilman Bill Carlson.