* “To the president, ‘duck and cover’ and the Cuban missile crisis were formative experiences. He knows the Korean War hasn’t ended, and he can accomplish what destroyed his idol, Gen. Douglas MacArthur.”–Former Trump strategist Stephen Bannon.
* “As soon as the American side is ready.”–Russian President Vladimir Putin’s take on when he would be meeting with Donald Trump.
* “Canadians, we’re polite, we’re reasonable, but we also will not be pushed around.”–Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in announcing that Canada will be taking retaliatory measures in response to U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum imports.
* “We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing. And that ends.”–Donald Trump.
* “International multilateral organizations are not going to determine American policy. I think the president’s made that very clear.”–Trump economic adviser Larry Kudlow, when asked if the administration will respect decisions of the World Trade Organization on tariffs.
* “There’s a special place in hell for any foreign leader that engages in bad-faith diplomacy with President Donald J. Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door.”–White House trade adviser Peter Navarro.
* “Europe United is the answer to America First.”–German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas.
* “If President Trump really wants businesses to stay in America, he’s going to have to reconsider his hostility to immigration.”–Wall Street Journal.
* “While international security is complicated, here’s a rule of thumb: When you find yourself on the same side as (National Security Adviser) John Bolton, go back and re-examine your position.”–Nicholas Kristof, New York Times.
* “(Immigration raids are) not really about stolen American jobs or evil immigrants. … It’s about a reality show president’s desperate attempt to keep his base worked into the frenzy of fear and rage he needs to feel special.”–Connie Schultz, Creators.com.
* “… It’s a question of getting in-tuned with a new environment. Eventually, I suspect the Puerto Rican population residing here in Florida and the rest of the nation will attain those high levels of participation that we see election after election in Puerto Rico.”–Former Puerto Rico Gov. Pedro Rossello, who is endorsing Sen. Bill Nelson for re-election.
* “Starting a trade war with our closest allies is the last thing we should be doing. No one wins in a trade war, especially hard-working families who may have to pay more for the goods they buy every day.”–Sen. Bill Nelson.
* “I think we’re watching the “Art of the Deal” unfold in real time.”–Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach.
* “One of Trump’s most corrosive effects is to have destroyed the appeal of moderation.”–Financial author Roger Lowenstein.
* “The increasing prospect of a trade war could put Florida’s economy at risk and negatively impact consumers, families and jobs.”–The Florida Chamber of Commerce.
* “It sure is fun to be the front-runner!”–Phillip Levine at the recent Democratic gubernatorial debate.
* “I want to make Tampa a global city.”–Tucker Hall president Bill Carlson, a candidate to succeed term-limited Harry Cohen representing District 4 on Tampa City Council.
* “It’s exactly the environment I want my students in.”–Dr. Charles Lockwood, dean of USF’s Morsani College of Medicine, on the impact of the med school relocating to downtown Tampa as part of the $3 billion Water Street Tampa makeover.
* “While we are working diligently with the team and the private sector regarding the Rays new ballpark, it is unlikely that an agreement will be reached and approved by necessary legislative bodies by the end of the year.”–Hillsborough County Commissioner Ken Hagan.
* “If the partnership doesn’t happen, the ferry doesn’t happen.”–St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman, pointing out that for the St. Petersburg-Tampa ferry to return, all partners–St. Pete, Tampa and Pinellas and Hillsborough counties–will have to be on board and chip in.
* “How do we get the best, most equitable use out of those 85 acres that will pay back dividends for decades to come.”–Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch on the possibility of future scenarios for St. Petersburg’s Tropicana Field site.
* “The role of the CEO is think strategically and deliver tactically.”–Bob Dutkowsky, who recently stepped down as CEO of Clearwater-based Tech Data, Florida’s largest public company by revenue.