* “It’s just a smoldering fire, and when the conditions are ripe, it just takes off. A second wave isn’t something that happens right away.”–Dr. Marissa Levine, director of the Center for Leadership in Public Health Practice at USF.
* “The scientific data is really quite evident now about the lack of efficacy.”–Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country’s top infectious disease expert, on the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus patients.
* “FOMO.” Fear Of Missing Out. In short, it’s the incentive for some to re-socialize imprudently now that more businesses–notably restaurants–are re-opening.
* Florida drivers were involved in 16,191 crashes in April. The previous April that figure was 33,692.
* Nearly 1 million Floridians have been tested–or just shy of 5 percent of the state’s population. Of those tested, 5.6 percent have been positive.
* Another sign of societal re-opening: Beer pong is back.
* The Commerce Department reported new-home sales climbed 0.6 percent in April, a notably unexpected increase.
* Florida state revenue was down $871 million in April.