* “The European Union disapproves of the fact that the U.S. decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation.”–EU statement.
* “I would not be betting on Mother Nature (warmer weather) here. I would be betting on case-finding. Isolation (of patients). Contact tracing. Testing. Testing. Testing.”–WHO adviser Dr. Bruce Aylward.
* “I think Americans should be prepared that they are going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing.”–Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.
* “We need one another. If we act like it, more of us are going to be okay.”–Connie Schultz, Creators Syndicate.
* “A leader who cannot be believed will not be followed, even, or especially, in periods of emergency.”–Bret Stephens, New York Times.
* “Trump needs his administration to do something he is awful at: acting in a predictable manner.”–Daniel Drezner, Washington Post.
* “From the beginning, when Trump suggested that warming weather would solve the epidemic, his aim has been to downplay the risks and talk up the stock market, whose strength is key to his argument for re-election. … Trump exemplifies an ideological approach to the coronavirus (and Democrats must avoid the converse tendency to predict the worst just because Trump is in charge).”–Nicholas Kristof, New York Times.
* “One of America’s true strengths is our ability to summon unity and collective confidence when facing an external threat. We’ve seen it in time of war. We’ve seen it during the race to the moon. We’ve seen it after the attacks on 9/11. Are we seeing that now with the spread of this virus? … This is a test we need to pass.”–Michele Norris, former host of NPR’s “All Things Considered.”
* “Biden’s success in the suburbs makes him an acceptable alternative to Trump. His turnout in the suburbs threatens the Republican Senate.”–Scott Reed, top political adviser for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
* “When stresses arise in the Treasury market, they can reverberate throughout financial markets and the entire economy.”–Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, in announcing emergency action that included slashing its benchmark interest rate to near zero and buying $700 billion in Treasury and mortgage bonds.
* “As far as I’m concerned, Bernie, stay in Vermont and Joe, stay in Delaware. Stay healthy because we can’t beat Trump if we lose either of you.”–Ione Townsend, chairwoman of the Hillsborough County Democratic Party.
* “Jack was a Tampa original–filled with charm, wit and wisdom.”–Former Mayor Pam Iorio, on the passing of Jack Espinosa Sr.
* “As we work to minimize the impact of coronavirus, we are proud to see companies like Uber Eats step up to help our community. Technology helps us to stay connected, despite social distancing.”–Mayor Jane Castor, on Uber Eats’ announcement of free delivery and marketing efforts to more than 100,000 independent restaurants across the U.S. and Canada.