Some Super Bowl givens:
1) Not unlike a heavyweight championship fight, most folks in attendance will have little clue as to what is actually going on. Doesn’t matter. It’s the mother of all VIP tickets.
2) Nothing exceeds a Roman-numeraled football game for sheer pretension.
3) Much more than usual, the media horde falls all over itself for vapid, jock-sniffing stories.
4) Each year the extortion ante is raised for the host city.
5) USF economics professor Phil Porter will be quoted around the world as saying that the Super Bowl doesn’t mean economic squat for the host city.